Wednesday 13 January 2016

Chicken Soup's On!



I am a big fan of homemade anything, especially soups.  I've been feeling this cold and snowy winter weather AND fighting something, so I figured some super easy, super comforting, and super healing chicken soup was in order. Craving greens, I added a luscious and nutritious parsley garnish to the bowl before eating it.

The ingredients:  
Chicken thighs and legs (2 large, bone in, for better flavour)
Onions (1 large or 2 small)
Celery (2 stalks with the leaves on top)
Carrots (2 medium)
Some parsley root (I keep this chopped and frozen, ready for soups) 
Garlic (as much as your body craves!)
Fresh parsley
S+P
Frozen peas and green beans at the end (a cup or so each)



Throw everything into a pot with some water and bring it to a boil... then simmer until the flavours have developed and the chicken is cooked and tender.  Remove the skin and bones and shred the chicken by hand.  Toss in some frozen peas and green beans... and you're done!

To make the parsley garnish, simply clean and wash some fresh Italian parsley, and buzz it in the food processor with some olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, and a pinch of sea salt.  


This is so very much like chimmichurri, which I make for topping our Sunday steaks... but this simple mixture will be great to add to a multitude of other dishes, like grilled chicken, or any salad, or baked / boiled / roasted potatoes.  Ohhh... what a great way to feed my obsession with all things green.  DO try this and enjoy feeding yours!  

4 comments:

  1. I've never used parsley root! Is it stronger than regular parsley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parsley root has a really unique and deep flavour that I usually reserve for a quick beef shank broth. They look like white carrots. I buy them when I see them, and I keep them cleaned and cubed in the freezer for soups. They're a little sweet, a little savoury, and a brilliant ingredient that adds a bit of mystery to your dish. I just felt like adding a bit more flavour to my chicken soup this time, since my taste buds are on a vacation while I am under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In other words, it's totally optional in this soup. You'll notice too, that I don't put strict amounts in the ingredients list. That's because I'm not about measuring my chopped onions or carrots (or much of anything). I like to be pretty free in the kitchen... if I like a certain ingredient, I add more of it. That's why I added so many extra green things to this soup. I'll post another, simpler chicken soup recipe another time... but it has garlic and tomatoes in them, lending it a more Italian feel. Eeek, I am commenting too much, lol. I am just delighted by your questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't measure either, so I love it. My husband is a strict measure-er, so we butt heads when we're cooking sometimes and I'm eyeballing ingredient amounts. :)

      Delete