Sunday 3 April 2016

Kranzkuchen... Oma's Easter Bread recipe


There's nothing in the world like homemade bread... the mere touch and smell of this dough brings me back to my childhood and learning to make Kranzkuchen with my Oma.  It's something I remember so vividly once I get my hands on the yeasty, sticky wonderfulness.

Truth be told, for many years, I was afraid to try making it.  I just didn't want to get it wrong. You see, the recipe we have is simply a list of the few ingredients involved, and there are absolutely no instructions or tips on the scrap of paper the "recipe" was written on.  

After a few years of missing it / wanting to make it and eat it... and wanting to honour our dear late Oma and Opa and Onkel Joe who are inextricably wrapped up with the tradition of this bread, I just HAD TO attempt making it, as it means EASTER to everyone in our family.

And guess what?  It turned out more than just OK, it was perfect... the touch, the smell, the texture... it was EASTER in a simple braided loaf.


This is how to make it.  

1) In a two cup measuring cup, proof 4 1/2 tsp yeast with 2/3 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup warm water until it gets foamy and yeasty smelling.  Notice how mine was a bit overflowing?  My one cup measure overflowed!

2) Measure 7 cups flour and 1 generous tsp salt into a very big bowl and stir to combine

3) Melt 2 tsp butter in a large measuring cup, add    2 3/4 cups of milk and 2 eggs

4) Combine everything in the big bowl.  When it comes together roughly, turn it out onto the counter and knead using a dough scraper and an additional 1/4 cup of flour or so, as needed.  This is a sticky dough so don't go crazy with the flour, as it will still be sticky.  Pop it back into the big bowl when the texture is nice and smooth, after about 7 minutes of kneading.  Let it rise for an hour, covered, in a warm draft-free place.   

5) Dump onto a floured surface to shape into desired loaf shapes.  I split the dough in two... made a simple three braid with tucked under ends... and a round loaf by forming 6 strips and weaving a simple 3 x 3 lattice with the ends rolled under.    


The simple braided loaf is my Opa's favourite shape (and mine).  The round loaf was Oma's favourite, and I think it's my mom's, too.  These are the two simple shapes I made with this year's batch of dough.  I might experiment with a four or five strand braid next year.

I will have to watch how vlogger Titli Nihaan @ The Bread Kitchen shows how to do it... she can braid anything from 3 to 9 strands of bread.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP6j7esQyjk 
Be sure to check the link out!



6) After letting the braided loaves rise about 45 minutes, brush them with a whole egg and pop them into a preheated 400 degree F oven for about 20 to 30 minutes. 



I rotated and turned these loaves from top to bottom and front to back so they browned evenly.  I knew they were done when they turned a deep golden colour, and they made a nice hollow thumping sound when knocked on the bottom.


These braided beauties make me smile.


Happy Easter!  He is Risen!  He is Risen, indeed!


I think Oma and Onkel Joe (the former bakers of this bread) would be proud this traditional Kranzkuchen is still being enjoyed in our family this Easter.

Please comment if you have tried this recipe, or if you have a family recipe that you simply must have every year on Easter or other special days.   

If you have any questions about my recipe or process, please ask and I will respond in kind.

Edited to add:
Good luck to my dear friend Suzanne, who will be trying this recipe during the Pandemic / Bread Explosion of 2020!
And kudos to my brother John, who made for Easter Sunday this year.











No comments:

Post a Comment