Friday 1 May 2020

Care and feeding of your sourdough starter

How do I keep my starter ALIVE?!


Now that I have your attention... relax!
  
It takes a lot to “kill” your starter, truly. 

But really ... as long as you bake with it regularly (even just once a week), it will be happy and bubbly and ready to lift your sourdough to new heights.  Bake more often than that, and you’ll have a superstar performer on your hands.


You can take a mathematical approach, and actually measure your flour and water, so you KNOW it will be just right.

And after awhile, you’ll get a real “feel” for it, and then you’ll be doing it much more instinctively as you gain experience and confidence. You’ll also develop a preference for how wet or dry you like to keep your starter.  I like to keep mine on the thicker side, so I can really see it puff up and double (or more).  Here’s how I feed and mix mine, in this short video:

Remember, you’re the one who gets to decide how much starter to keep in the fridge at any given time.  I like to keep only a bit more than the scrapings if I only plan to make one loaf... but if I’m planning to make up some pancakes or waffles on the weekend, or to do a big bake of three loaves in a day or two, then I build it up by a bit by feeding and mixing it, and leaving it out an hour before I pop it back in the fridge, so I’ve got enough to use when I need it.



It’s ready to bake with, when it is bubbly, has more than doubled,  and it is still rounded at the top.


TROUBLE SHOOTING ~

If your starter is a bit sluggish, and doesn’t see to want to grow, consider the following:

Is your kitchen warm enough?  
Put it in the oven with the light on, 
put it on top of your refrigerator, or near a warm spot.

Is there a draft inhibiting its growth?  
Pop it in the microwave or invest in a proofing box.

Did you feed it “enough” flour?  
Add some more!  Or change up the flour (try some rye or spelt)


Happy starter = happy sourdough!



Happy sourdough = happy eating!!








Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

MJ




No comments:

Post a Comment